Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Lync Key Health Indicators (KHI) summarization

"Necessity is the mother of all invention."

Lync Call Quality Methodology is a great way to inspect your environment and find areas in need of improvement and troubleshoot end user reported problems better.  However the first portion of the methodology is collecting KHI's or Key Health Indicator reports from performance monitor.  I've found this article at Flinchbot to be pretty helpful in deploying the KHI's as well as triggering the stop and start of log collection.  But then the very manual process of collecting average and maximum values from multiple servers and days.

So I wrote this little thing in Excel.  If you find errors, let me know, I won't claim to be a programmer, so this is free and completely at your own risk.  I tried to make it simple.

  1. Name your CSV's something like "Server - Date.csv"  Each file will be a new tab.
  2. Edit the xlsm document with the folder where your CSV's are stored (E14)
  3. Click "Summarize KHI CSVs"
  4. Wait a bit.   Some of these files are large and the operation may make Excel hang or seem unresponsive for a bit.  I promise, I couldn't code a virus to save my life.
  5. The output provides each counter with the Average and Max value, one sheet in the workbook per CSV provided.
Sample of interface:

Sample of Output

Download from Technet Here

Demonstration Video
Excuse the interface, I prettied it up before posting it!

Thursday, August 21, 2014

How to view your "Cloud Only" users in Azure AD Powershell

I ran into an issue recently with a customer who had populated their cloud with users manually, and then ran DirSync to synchronize 1000s of user accounts.   We then had a need to audit the cloud only accounts and come up with a plan to remove them.   I found this to be a very effective way to address this.

Get-MsolUser -All | where { $_.ImmutableId -eq $null }

The ImmutableId field is created when users are synchronized from an external directory, so users without a ImmutableId are not from Active Directory.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Microsoft Lync TRIPP reports have been replaced

I use the Lync TRIPP reports often.  Despite many people clamoring that it uses Java or works incorrectly, I have found them to be pretty handy to ensure a customer's network is sufficient to support audio/video calling for both Lync Online as well as On premise.

None of the links in that article work anymore, however (thanks to Henrik Walther) there are new links available here:


Most excellent.  Wish they'd make the old URL's redirect or something, since there are so many blogs that point to them now.