Performing an Exchange 2007 mailbox restore using Backup Exec 12.5
- Create the recovery storage group using the Exchange Management Console's toolbox. Confirm you will have enough disk space to do the restore to the drives it chooses!
- If you run the "restore wizard" in Backup Exec 12.5, it doesn't prompt for redirection options. However, Exchange 2007 by default will find and use a RSG for you. If there is not an RSG, the job will fail.
- I used the non wizard in the screenshots below to create a Restore job, selecting the Exchange Storage group and Database to be restored, and choose the RSG redirection as well as unchecking the "commit after restore" (the restore will work either way, I just like manually mounting stores) Remember, you do NOT need to restore all databases, only the one you want data from!
- Mount your RSG database
- Launch the Exchange Recovery Toolbox again, and it's now time to "Merge or copy contents"
- Here is where I found a very ODD issue. As you can see above, the DMNotify mailbox is in the High limit store, and this is the one I restored from. However, When I go to merge data, the Staff and High limit DB's are flip flopped. So even though Backup Exec 12.5 restored the data, when I go to mount the databases, the high limit is 2gb (empty) and the staff is 17GB (the size of my data restored)
- However, I was still able to merge the mailbox I wanted out by choosing the Staff DB
- Mail data was all successfully restored!
Post a Comment