Had a customer with a brand new Windows 2008 R2 server VM that started representing the error shown below.
Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified
I spent some time trying different authentication methods for the service, and trying to confirm versions of srv.sys, all seemed to be correct and OK with the server, and it was patched and up to date as well.
I stumbled upon this thread talking about solving a similar issue:
User m_a_tt's post is what lead me to resolve this issue.
I checked the "dependencies" of the service on my server:
Compared to another server with the same patch level:
So I browsed into the registry to get the multi-string data that represents these two dependencies:
And then added them to my "broken" server's registry.
Rebooted, and all was working again. After some further digging, I found out that this was indeed manually configured this way by a co-worker who was following instructions from an HP Lefthand SAN installation. The exact line in their documentation was:
sc lanmanserver depend= MSiSCSI
Future note if you implement storage - this seems to replace existing entries entirely. The command below would be more appropriate:
sc lanmanserver depend=SamSS/Srv/MSiSCSI
Hope this helps some people searching. I will post this article in the thread previously mentioned as well.
Labels: windows 2008 R2